Corvette Ship Customization

News about the current development of DSS.

Corvette Ship Customization

Postby StephanieRct » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Here’s a video preview of corvette ship customization in DSS, which demonstrates how ship design works. Corvettes are the smallest class of ships averaging at 30 meters in length. They are used as workers/transporters as well as fighters engaging in dog fights.

You start off by selecting a base hull which usually contains the cockpit and main systems. On that hull, there are several sockets you can fill with components likes wings, engines, weapons, armor, shield, etc. Each socket can host a specific category of components. Sockets on the sides of the base hull can host a corvette ‘Side’ component like, for instance, a wing or a cargo pod. Some sockets can be filled with weapons while others can hold support systems like shield generators or additional armor plating, etc.
Once you’re done with your design, you can save it for future games or give it to your friends to try out.

Components have stat modifiers, e.g. ‘armor’ components increase the ship’s maximum armor hit points by a fixed amount; ‘engine’ adds thrust, which increases acceleration and speed relative to the ship’s mass.
Some components boost a stat by a percentage, e.g. ‘wing’ boosts acceleration by 20% and steering by 10%.
There are also parts with special and unique abilities, which have a wide range of effects. For instance, there’s a module for enabling a ship to research debris and singularities that can be found throughout the galaxy. Another special ability is being able to dismantle and build a station, like the colony ship does.

There is plenty of room for customization. Players can spend a lot of time designing ships and optimizing their stats according to the tactics they want to use. Do you give your miners two cargo pods, or rather one cargo pod and one armored wing? Do you build a multi-purpose fighter with laser and gun or rather a specialized dual laser corvette? It’s all up to you.

From an art and design point of view, the idea of interchangeable parts and modularity was emphasized by having cut-out areas on the corvette body, where corresponding parts fit in like pieces of a puzzle.
While corvettes hold up very well when seen up close, they are a very small unit. This is why weapon size has been played up a bit, to have the guns a bit more noticeable.
StephanieRct
Site Admin

Re: Corvette Ship Customization

Postby Mathias » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Glorious!
Mathias

Postby Rosssss » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I like the tie-fighter style wings. The 3D models are looking top-notch
Rosssss

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 am

Thanks! The tie fighter served as inspiration for the vertical-aligned-armor-giving wings.
Mathias

Postby Grailmak-PHI » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Have been definitely checking your site from time to time to see how this project is progressing. It looks to be a very well crafted game. What ever you do just do not make it about combat only. Be sure to include a lot of exploration/artifact finding and other quests if possible. I would also like to know about the UI, is it moddable. I for one like the way you make use of a lot of information, but one thing I like in space games is User Interface transparency, or at least the ability to mod it that way if that is one's preference. Will you be making a Demo so we can get a feel for the game at some point? In some ways it reminds me of Aurora but with a graphical touch. Of course Aurora, that is the free space game by Steve Walmsley, is very in-depth allowing one to craft individual components. Will this be similar?
Grailmak-PHI

Postby StephanieRct » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 pm

There will be exploration for sure. :)
Will you be making a Demo so we can get a feel for the game at some point?

Yes! There will also be an alpha and beta release eventually.

Will this be similar [to Aurora] ?

Aurora is a tad overwhelming. I do want to create an in-depth experience but not at the cost of a steep learning curve.
StephanieRct
Site Admin

Postby TanC » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Wow! This is nice! Do I have the option of just not using up the module slots...just so I can have a faster/cheaper ship? I'm assuming that adding more modules = slower/expensive ship. Of course, I will be using the modules for the engines. :lol:
TanC
Corvette Pilot

Postby Mathias » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Absolutely! There are essential parts that you need, the engines and a reactor(internal). Anything else is pretty much up to you. Most parts you add, add mass and so decrease agility. Some added parts like weapons and shields will require additional energy, so you might have to add a second reactor, etc.
Mathias

Postby TanC » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Mathias wrote:Absolutely! There are essential parts that you need, the engines and a reactor(internal). Anything else is pretty much up to you. Most parts you add, add mass and so decrease agility. Some added parts like weapons and shields will require additional energy, so you might have to add a second reactor, etc.

That's what I thought. Fancy, I love this level of customization! :D
TanC
Corvette Pilot

Postby Banichi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Looks great! looking forward to many hours playing this game.
Banichi

Return to Dev News